December 18, 2011

Standing on the Promises

For all the promises of God in Him are Yes, and in Him Amen, to the glory of God through us.
2 Corinthians 1:20

Russell Kelso Carter, author of this hymn, was an athlete, educator, rancher, preacher, and physician. Here is his condensed story:

From my birth in 1849, I was surrounded by Christian influences. My father stood for nearly half a century in the rank of Christian workers in Baltimore; by his side I had the example of a patient, loving mother. I cannot remember when I was not subject to deep convictions of sin; yet as a school boy, I wandered from the truth until age fifteen, when, under the influence of the cadet prayer-meeting in the Pennsylvania Military Academy, I repented and dedicated my life to Jesus.

But I made a common mistake; I didn't forsake my old companions and habits, and for fourteen years I lived the up-and-down experience so familiar to the average church member. I never enjoyed myself so much as when working in Mr. Moody's meetings in Baltimore; yet even up to that time I was continually slipping and falling. My soul cried for deliverance, and God's unlimited promises stood out like stars above me. But I wasn't willing to pay the price.

In the summer of 1879, my heart, which had been chronically diseased for seven years, resisting the remedies of physicians, and, refusing to grow better even after three years of sheep-ranching in California, suddenly broke down so seriously as to bring me to the verge of the grave. I had heard of the "power of faith" for healing, but I felt persuaded it would border on blasphemy to ask God for a strength which I didn't propose to use wholly for Him.

Kneeling in my mother's room, I prayed. All doubtful things were swept aside. I meant every word, and I have never had any doubts about it since. A quietness came over me and I found the Bible wonderfully open and marvelously satisfying, as it had never been before.

Feeling all the more impressed with God's healing promises, I concluded to go to Boston and ask for prayer and anointing. I was terribly weak, but I went. I will only add that I returned in three days, walking by faith, and not by feeling, resumed my college work in September, and at once engaged in all kinds of religious work. I was healed by the power of God alone. Praise the Lord!

Taken from the book: Then Sings My Soul

2 says:

Show Me Mama said...

I am your new follower. You can visit me at http://showmemama.com. Make sure you leave a comment so I know you visited.

Have a great weekend
ShowMeMama

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful story!! I absolutely love this song, too. When my daddy led it in church when I was a kid, I was always so proud! :o) Kind of neat to actually get to learn a little something about the people who write the songs we sing every Sunday, isn't it?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...