December 08, 2013

the jingle bell run.


the entry fee had been paid by yours truly for the first time.
(after all, doesn't everybody's mom normally pay their entry fee? hehe!)

i was the only one.
sister was married and it was too far for her to drive.
mom had pulled a muscle while running a few weeks prior and was on the mend.
daddy had a men's meeting at church to attend.

i would be the lone ranger in this jingle bell run for arthritis.

the confirmation email had been received and i was ready.



the morning for the 5k arrived. it was very chilly.

i had laid out my new santa shirt (purchased just for this occasion), black running capris, and santa socks the night before.

waking up at 6:40 on this saturday morning, and after feeding the horses, i donned my gear.


mom and i arrived early and was directed to a parking space at huntington.

there were many runners already hustling and bustling about the campus.

mom and i found a warm building to wait inside until time for the runners to line up at the starting line.



finding my station on pandora, and sticking my headphones in my ear, i was ready.

mom gave me one last wave and smile wishing so badly that she was behind the starting line with me.

after the time clock reached 8:31 a.m., the announcer gave the command and the runners were off.



in the middle of the first mile, there was a snow blower.

blowing snow across the neighborhood street, we ran through it.

there were many runners--at least 300.

everyone set their pace and settled in for the 3.1 miles.

in between songs on my ear buds, i could hear the jingle of jingle bells.

everyone was provided with safety pins complete with jingle bells attached to them to pin their bibs on.

we were "jingling all the way".


i rounded the bend, and heard the cheering. i was nearing the end.

i sprinted the last few yards.

taking my phone out of my pocket, i was ready to press the "stop" button on my app after i would cross the finish line.

over the song that was playing on my ear buds, i heard my mom cheering me across the finish line.

yup, she's the best.

my time flashed: 29:29.

5k number ten. check.



after the race, mom and i went into the warm building again to warm ourselves. then, we ventured back outside and found the fresh orange slices from earthfare and the VIP coffee. 
(not that we were VIP. they were just nice people and shared their coffee with two freezing women--me and mom. ;p)

awards were next and then we fast walked/trotted back to the sub.

let's just say, we worked that heater and heated seats. 






Stats for Jingle Bell Run 5k:
Chip Time: 29:25.0
Gun Time: 29:29.0
Age Division: 20-24
Place: 5th out of the 12 in my age division
Overall Place: 146 out of 375 runners
Pace: 9:28









2 says:

Rachel said...

Wow!! You've done 10 5ks? Pretty good, girl!

Holly said...

That's an awesome pace!!! Way to go girl!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...