April 13, 2013

the fifth run.



We have to get a paper done.

I complete it the night before, and we decide to do it.

To run another 5k.


Not sure when the race starts, we arrive 40 minutes early and walk to the registration table.

The ladies are all smiles and welcoming...a sight we are thankful for on this Saturday morning.

We receive our t-shirts and goodie bags and head back to the SUV to get the rest of our running gear.



"Marli!"

I turn and see a woman walking towards me.

I shield my eyes before I can recognize who it is.

After focusing, I see her.

She is a former co-worker of mine.

What fun this will be to have another friend to run alongside! :)


We chit-chat and catch up on things in life.

Then, someone gets on the loud speaker and announces that the race is about to begin. 

We put our ear buds in and turn up our music.

The horn blows and we're off.



 I set my pace a little faster than normal and settle in for the 3.1 miles of flat road.

The Mustang Stampede at the elementary school has begun.


Nearing the end of the race, it doesn't seem like it has been long enough.

"Man, that went by fast."

Blessings abound.



I see the finish line.

I squint to read the timer up ahead.

30 minutes.

Faster than I had ever run a 5k in my life.

I sprint through the finish line with my fastest time flashing.

31 minutes and 20 seconds.

Blessings abounded.




My family was there to cheer my across the finish line.

Mom and sister had finished just minutes before.



I received my water bottle from the water lady and take a swig.

Then it hits.

I feel as if I was about to pass out. 

I sit down hoping that will help the feeling.

Nope.


Heading over to the shade of the schools porch, I tell mom to bring me another water.

My sister follows knowing that I need her.

Mom arrives with another water and a banana.

Sister goes inside to get some wet paper towels to put on my face.

Having had one of these episodes before, they calmly just know just what to do.

I put my head down and start feeling better.

I eat the banana and the sis sits down beside me...just being there for me.



Getting the potassium in my body and downing two waters, I feel as good as new.

Sometimes, after my runs at home (and if I get too hot), these episodes happen.

Mom and sis are there...if I faint or not. ;)

I'm thankful today wasn't one of those "fainting days."

Boy, would that have been embarrassing.

Blessings abound.




Oh yeah.

And the race I place third in, they wouldn't hand out 3rd place trophies.

Just 1st and 2nd.

I'm totally okay with that.

Sort of.

=)





Stats for my info:
Gun Start: 08:31:17
Finish: 09:02:38
Gun Elapsed: 31:20:756
Overall Place: 35 out of 92
Age Division: 18-24
Place: 3rd out of the 6 in my age group (sis and I were in the same age division and she placed first :)






7 says:

momof3girls said...

Wow! What an experience! I'm glad you're okay and I'm so happy that you ran faster. What an accomplishment.

Liv said...

Yay for 5K's...no fun on the nearly fainting! I have excellent blood pressure, but it's at the lower end of normal, so on several occasions my getting up too fast from laying down has caused fainting. Only once in public, and it created a bit of a scene, but made for a good memory. =) Keep up the running!

nate and amy crandell said...

WOW! 31 minutes good job girl! I'm sorry you almost passed out, I most defiantly would have haha. Seriously good job!

The Olive Tree Blog said...

well great job for running a 5k .. .and glad your feeling better!

marie said...

You're so cute Marli, you'll get that trophy one of these days, just keep on doing what you're doing.

Such a great pic of you, your mom and sis. That you guys all participate together is just great.

Susannah said...

Congrats on your PR! :-)

Erin James said...

So so proud of you friend. Such a good pic of you and your mama and sis :)

Love ya!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...