February 22, 2013

a word.


At the beginning of the year, many of you had the amazing idea of choosing a word.

A word for your everyday life.

A word that you would put into practice for this year.


I also chose a word.

Mine: 
Contentment.


For me, contentment has such a huge effect on my life.

Ever since I can remember, being content has been a challenge for me.

Whether it was waiting for a much anticipated package to arrive in the mail, or impatiently waiting on an answer from mom and dad about us being able to go the the Mexican restaurant with friends, the challenge was still there.

As I have grown older, my need for contentment has grown. 
Not to mention, the items and issues in life have gotten more serious.

Instead of waiting on a baby doll to be delivered by the UPS man, or fretting over what to order off the menu at El Torito, the issues in life have become more complicated...

waiting for that mid-term grade to be posted--wondering if you got that A you wanted so badly.
asking yourself: "Should I buy this car now? Or should I wait a few more months until I have the cash?"

Other issues may be:
guy problems.
single problems.
family problems.
marriage problems.
and the list goes on and on.


Have you ever caught yourself wishing that you were a little girl/boy again?

Kids only think that naptime is a major problem.
I would love it if naptime was the only major issue in my life.



To tell you a secret, contentment was a major issue in my life last year.

I mean, what girl/guy doesn't want that special someone?
What girl/guy doesn't want to be successful in their academic career?
What girl/guy doesn't have that urge to buy that SUV right then and there?


via


But, I learned something.

Something I have been raised knowing, but has really hit me in the face these last couple of months.

God is BIG.

And He knows exactly what you need and exactly when you need it.

Isn't that such an awesome thought?
(totally.)

I'm counting my blessings every day and realizing that being content in Him is the greatest blessing of all.

Surprise.
But, if you're looking to find contentment in your worldly possessions, you are in for a deep disappointment.

Friends will hurt you.
Cars will break down.
And believe it or not, you may just get a C instead of an A 
(be thankful! it's a passing grade. ;)


But guess what??

God is always there.
He never leaves or forsakes. (Deut. 31:6)
He calls us His children.
and He will never hurt us.


So.
I guess what I'm trying to say is:

Be content in Him and He will fulfill all those needs and desires that you yearn for...
in His perfect timing.



Who knows, I may even go and enjoy a naptime. :)







4 says:

Katie Cook said...

ahhh this is so good girl! contentment is what makes our JOY complete:) thanks for sharing!

Lindsey said...

This is a great post. :) Things can get so difficult sometimes, and it's always a temptation to let that contentment run away from us. Way to keep on, girl!
Love you!

Erin James said...

You are so precious!
This is such an important truth, such a reminder for me this weekend. Love you sweet girl.

The Olive Tree Blog said...

nap while you can my friend ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...