February 22, 2012

forgiveness



Listening to my minister the other Wednesday night really got me to thinking...so, I took out my pen and paper and thought I'd share with my lovely bloggy friends what he said...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why should I forgive others (their trespasses)?

-I should forgive others if we want to be more like Christ.
-I should forgive others if I want to be like great men and women of old who followed God.
-I should forgive others, because if I don't forgive them, God will not forgive me.
-I should forgive others so that I can be free.
-I should forgive others because God puts such a great emphasis on it.
-I should forgive others because I want to practice God's math and timekeeping (forgive 70x7 and Ephesians 4-don't let the sun go down on your anger).
-I should forgive others because God has forgiven me.
-I should forgive others because I want my prayers to be heard.
-I should forgive others because I want to resemble my old nature (Romans 1:28).
-I should forgive others because we must leave place for the wrath of God. (Story of David cutting off a piece of cloth from Saul's robe.)
-I should forgive others because I want to be a channel through which healing can reach others. (The story of Jacob and Esau meeting again after many years.)
-I should forgive others to come to realize that God may have a higher purpose for my suffering (Acts 2:23).
-I should forgive others because I don't think I can get around the fact that I need to obey Jesus.

Forgive, Forget, Forever.

8 says:

marie said...

Also you just walk around with a big ol' chip on your shoulder if you don't forgive. It's definitely as much for yourself, to claim back your peace of mind.

Erin James said...

ps - your playlist on here makes my DAY. love all these songs

Lauren said...

i've been thinking a lot about forgiveness too lately! I read this article (http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2002/04/hidden-wedges?lang=eng) and was so inspired by it!
I really liked reading your thoughts as well, I completely agree with all of them.

Erin James said...

this is so what i needed to hear tonight, in thinking and praying about some relationships in my life. thanks for the reminder sweetie! :)

also, i added your blog button :) it was not working at first so i emailed you, not sure if you got it but it is up and working now!

XO

Contemplating Beauty said...

AMEN! Glad you have wisdom in this! It's only through God that we even have the power to THINK about forgiving...!

Nana said...

Great reminder, Marli. We too have just finished a study on "Forgiveness." Really makes us think, and sometimes may not seem easy, but the forgivers are the winners. It frees us up to enjoy life more.

Love you,

Nana

his little lady said...

beautiful!!!
xo TJ

Kylee said...

I think it's the forgetting part that I struggle with the most. Sure, I can forgive someone. But forget? That takes much more time on my part.

Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...