March 04, 2013

Joyfully at Home: Chapter Ten


Overcoming a False View of Singleness

Jasmine Baucham states:

Why don't we enjoy our single years?

Instead of wringing our hands in helpless, lonely melancholy, or conversely, allowing ourselves to become distracted and discouraged by the list of things that we must achieve before we can get married, as if marital preparation were some sort of checklist that we could mark off with a gold sticker awaiting us at the end (enter: tall, dark, and handsome), let's understand that, while honest evaluation of our level of growth can be sober and spur us onward as we mature in Christ, that maturity in Christ is the goal here--
not matrimony.

You could be married nine months from now, or you could be married nine years from now. The Lord might purpose for you to never marry. There is no way that you can know exactly when or to whom you will wed. But here's what we do know: The Lord has given us life, perhaps an unmarried one at this point, and has given us a mission to carry out, single or married (Matt. 28:18-20), and is constantly sanctifying us, single or married, and has called us to a purpose, single or married...

And that's a wonderful thing!

I am not suggesting that we should not actively prepare to be capable wives and mothers...but daughterhood is the best training ground. Checklists aside, yes, we should have goals in mind, but not superficial goals that will crumble and waver with every unmarried year that passes. Our goals should be spiritual ones, ones that we can strive for whether we are getting married next year of getting married ten years from now, goals that can serve the Lord if He calls us to a life of singleness or whether we end of having eight children. Our goal should be to bless others in whatever sphere of influence the Lord has placed us--in whatever context He has called us to live out the biblical womanhood that He has called us to.

To spend my unmarried years discontentedly counting the moments until I'm married, missing out on all of the blessings and opportunities the Lord has provided for me here and now, for His glory...that would truly be a waste.

...trust in the Lord's sovereign timing as you look towards the future.



check it out.







6 says:

nate and amy crandell said...

Beautifully Written! You have the best outlook on life, Seriously! Whoever you marry is going to be the luckiest for sure :)

marie said...

You've found a great book Marli. When I met Glenn I was not looking at all to get married, I was doing what you talked about, working on me. Things happen when you are prepared and ready. Have a Happy Monday!

Katie Cook said...

I LOVED my years as being single! God was able to take me so many places...and I had no regrets when I got married!!! thanks for sharing girl!

Adrienne @ The Art of Being Black and White said...

Absolutely love what you said. I have been single for 5 months now and thought, at one point, that my ex would be the one I marry. It's a difficult realization, but I've never been more happy in my life to be single. I am learning more about myself and loving the freedom to take care of me first and foremost. First time on your blog and I love it!
Adrienne

Http://myblackwhitecolor.blogspot.com

momto8 said...

my oldest daughter stopped dating in college...she said she was sick of boys who drank and smoked and only wanted girls to party too...she said if God wants her to get married, he will send her a husband...and guess what?! it was true. and he is a fabulous man and husband.

L said...

I have been wanting to read this book!!! =) I heard about it a while back through another friend, I still havent yet had the chance to read it. Have you read so much more by the Botkin sisters?

Much Love friend!
L

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...