July 20, 2011

his shoes were to small

It was Monday night. The second night of the gospel meeting. The sister and I were standing on the front porch of Highgate Church of Christ, helping to welcome the members and visitors to the Lord's church.

Two young boys walked up to us. We smiled and started a conversation with them. One only had a pair of black socks on his feet, so the sister playfully asked him where his shoes were, not expecting the answer she would receive. The other boy, his cousin, answered for him, almost to quiet to hear, "They to small."

"They were to small." It tore my heart out. I started thinking of all my pairs of shoes at home... Here I was, on a mission trip, with three pairs of shoes I had brought on the trip alone, and this little boy was walking around in his little black socks.

For me, it can be so easy to take the little things, like shoes, for granted. How many times have we had to go to church without shoes? If you're like me, you have so many shoes you could wear two or three different pairs a day. Having the privilege of visiting the country of Jamaica gives me the opportunity to see just how blessed I am. We have so much!

Next time we want to complain of the way our shoes may not go with our outfit, or how much we might have paid for them, think of the boy who only had socks to wear to church. Thank God for the clothes and shoes that you have to wear together, and thank Him for the money you have to buy that new pair of shoes.

When you count your shoes, count your many blessings that you do have.

4 says:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful.
I can tell this is from your heart.
Love.

(the sister)

Kimberley said...

Hi! I blog hopped from Joy's blog and I was so touched by your post! I plan to share this with my class tonight at worship and my children today at our family Bible time. You have a great blog! Thanks for sharing.

Marli said...

To the sister:
You are just too sweet! I love you!

To Kimberley:
Thank you for the kind words! I am honored that you would want to share with your class.

Anonymous said...

That is VERY touching. We do need to be grateful for all that we have.
Blessings,
~Rebecca

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...